This is an image of the two kneetubes mounted in my hull. The larger pipe is 4" diameter PVC pipe. The smaller is, uh, smaller. I have drilled 1/2" holes throughout the smaller tube to shave off some weight. Both tubes were mounted using heavy-duty silicone and allowed to cure overnight. Tip of the week: mount with the boat inverted. Here are the tubes with some stuff. Note the floor pad I siliconed in using an old sleeping bag pad. If I'd had some neoprene or better closed-cell foam around I would have used that instead. The pad is comfy for bare feet in the summer, and warm for cold feel in winter waters.

Here is some of the various junk I keep in the tubes. The center tube can hold a paddle-float, a light jacket, a bottle of water. The Naglene bottle shown is my "emergency bottle". The water-proof bottle sports a sassy closed-cell foat jacket that keeps in snug in the bak of the kneetube. A cord clipped to the front of the tube keeps in accesible. In the bottle I keep flares, a smoke grenade, an emergency energy bar, a signal mirror and probably some other things I am forgetting about. Here is my boat in front of the Minnesota Boat Club, which is where I keep this particular boat. I am the sole kayaker in the rowing club located along the Mississippi river in St. Paul, Minnesota. Some other hull modifications that this Current Designs GTS sports are 1/4" shock-cord (factory supplies 1/8"). I have a double strip of cord running through two mounts in front of the front hatch cover. This allows me to stow a paddle during an assisted rescue. Aft, I have a length of cord with a plastic hook running over the read hatch cover. This allows me to keep my spare paddle blade-forward and secure.

O.K., this isn't an outfitting image. This is my hull a few years back. Stripped off the gel-coat and punctured the hull a few times. Not a pretty picture. But hey, this sure is a pretty picture! This is post-repair. I am working on an online tutorial that explain how to make these repairs to your very own boat. Stay tuned...

In addition to repairing the hull, I added a keel-strip. I discovered that I kept losing bits of gel-coat either due to my incopetant repair or perhaps the keel being vunerable to a lot of abuse what with launches and landing. The keel strip is simple fiberglass seam-tape attached with polyester resin. It's been on for a few months now and is holding up well. Another shot of the keel strip. Just 'cause I had the camera and need to fill this space.

I hope you enjoyed this page. Feel free to send comments to Patrick Maun at Also feel free to see some of my art work at

See you online or on the water.